Monday, April 28, 2014

HERE'S BRUCE A. BORDERS

Robin Leigh Morgan: Please introduce yourself.


Bruce A. Borders: I’m a self-published author.

Robin Leigh: Tell us about your latest published novel.


Bruce: The latest is a short novel called Inside Room 913. I intended it to be a mini-mystery but I got a little carried away.


Robin Leigh: What are the two latest books you’ve already published? Give us about a five sentence description for each?


Bruce: Over My Dead Body


Over My Dead Body explores the deadly reaction and consequences when a protective father, Jeff Blake, tries to prevent the state from taking his daughter. The director of Child Protective Services uses his position to exact a personal vendetta in removing three-year-old Ashley from the Blake’s home.


The situation quickly becomes violent as Jeff resorts to the only response he feels he has. By the end of the short encounter, three people are dead. Ironically, Ashley is still taken, so the tragic fiasco gained nothing.



Miscarriage Of Justice
Sentenced to fifteen years in prison for a crime he didn't commit, Ethan Rafferty has one thing on his mind - payback! With his time up, the ex-con is free to pursue his mission of revenge. The District Attorney, Mariana Clark, who, during the trial suppressed evidence that would've exonerated him, is the focus of his vengeance. Intent on making her life miserable, Ethan employs a variety of tactics to antagonize and torment the woman. Unable to retaliate through the courts, considering her role in the previous trial, Mariana decides to fight fire with fire. Soon, their feud escalates to a point where neither imagined it would go.


Robin Leigh: What can you tell us about your current writing endeavor?


Bruce: I'm working on several books at the moment - a book about an escape from prison, a western, and Book 7 of the Wynn Garrett Series. I like to do prep work on many different projects at once. That allows the story to percolate and then when I start the actual writing I have a better idea of where it's going.


Robin Leigh: Can you give us an excerpt from one of your favorite scenes in your latest novel?


Bruce: This one is from Inside Room 913

So what happened?” Cynthia spoke up. “Where is Conrad Williams now?”


Holding up his hand, Mr. Jacobson said, “All in good time, my dear. Permit me to finish.” He paused briefly, and then continued. “Not knowing what to say or do, I politely inquired if he was all right. He answered by violently swinging a baseball bat directly at my head. I ducked and luckily, he missed. Then, we struggled a bit until I finally got the better of him.”


Cynthia sat stone-faced, listening, but giving no indication of her thoughts.


Seeing he had her attention, Jacobson continued. “I physically held him down on the floor, and assured the man I did not want to hurt him. I said I’d just been concerned about his well-being. He insisted that he was quite fine and really wanted only to be left alone. Didn’t like people, he claimed.


We talked for a while longer until I thought I’d convinced him that I was no threat and simply wanted to help. He’d calmed down considerably since the moment I’d first barged in, but then he suddenly became like a wild man. His eyes raged with fire and he looked right through me as he came at me again, this time, bare-handed.” Mr. Jacobson shook his head. “Sadly, that was the last time I saw Conrad.”


Frowning, Cynthia gave the man a questioning look. “You still haven’t told me where he is.”


Mr. Jacobson sighed. “He’s gone.”


“Gone? Gone where?”


“Gone, as in dead, I’m afraid. I killed him.” The man said the words calmly, with no emotion, as if the fact that he’d ended another human being’s life was no big deal.


Cynthia’s heart was in her throat. The man in front of her had just admitted to a cold-blooded murder. She couldn’t help but think poor ol’ Mrs. Fletcher had apparently been right! There was a murderer in the building! And here she sat - all alone in his one-room apartment. What’s worse, no one on God’s green Earth knew she was there. Not a single person!



Robin Leigh: What was the inspiration for your latest novel?


Bruce: A few years ago, I heard about a guy being held prisoner in a “hotel” for a few decades and wondered how that could have realistically happened. So, I let my mind begin to wander...


Robin Leigh: How did you decide what the title of this book would be? If this book is part of a series, then the books in the series.


Bruce: I wanted something short, with a little bit of intrigue. That’s the reason for the room number. I thought Inside Room 913 fit the bill. A lot of hotels used to not have a room 13 on any floor due to superstitions of the customers. The ninth floor seemed to play into that as well.


Robin Leigh: Would you consider yourself to be a plotter or a pantser?


Bruce: Both. I plot in my head before the writing begins, then once I start writing I like to just see what happens and where I end up.


Robin Leigh: What made you decide to become an author?


Bruce: I always loved to write, always wanted to be an author. I finally decided there was no time like the present.


Robin Leigh: In your latest novel, who’s your favorite character male/female?


Tell us why.


Bruce: Cynthia Holt, the main character of Inside Room 913. She is very inquisitive and doesn’t really worry much about what she is told if that means ignoring someone’s well-being.


Robin Leigh: Do you set aside a specific amount of time to write, write/answer emails, and market/promote your book[s]?


Bruce: I don’t set a certain amount or a specific time because life is always trying to mess up my carefully laid plans! But I do make sure to write every day. As for all of the other stuff, marketing/promoting, I try to do that daily as well but it is not the top priority.


Robin Leigh: Do you read books outside the genre you write in? What are they?


Bruce: Sometimes. I'll read almost any genre except for Erotica and Horror or subjects like witchcraft.


Robin Leigh: What must you have around you when you write; food, drink, music, etc?


Bruce: Food to munch on, coffee and Dr. Pepper. I love music but can't listen while I write or I'd be writing the lyrics down. Wouldn't really be able to concentrate on writing either - listening to music for me is not a passive activity, it isn't just something going on in the background but it’s what I am doing. So, my writing environment needs to be quite.


Robin Leigh: When you were an aspiring author you needed advice. What advice would you give to those aspiring author in those shoes today?


Bruce: Write what makes you happy. Keep writing. Try to improve along the way, but keep writing.


Robin Leigh: Is there anything else you’d like to briefly tell us about your book, your writing, or yourself.


Bruce: I would like to thank Robin for the opportunity to do this interview and for her support of the Rave Reviews Book Club!


GENERAL_INFORMATION


Where can we find your books?


Ebooks: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, among others.


Paperbacks: Amazon, Barnes & Noble as well as my website.


Where can we find you on internet:


BLOG: http://bruceabordersbooks.weebly.com/blog.html    
FACEBOOK FAN PAGE: http://www.facebook.com/BruceABordersBooks  


GOODREADS: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5752197.Bruce_A_Borders  


TWITTER: http://www.twitter.com/BruceABorders  


WEB PAGE: http://www.BruceABordersBooks.weebly.com  


Bruce, THANKS for giving me your time in allowing me to interview you.

No comments:

Post a Comment